Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Relationship....

The most important thing that we could possibly EVER obtain in life is a realtionship with God. We were redeemed by His blood to spend eternity with Him in heaven when at one point in time that completely impossible. But God made it possible becuase it was important to Him to reconcile His creation to himself. ALL of His creation...and that includes me and YES you too!!!

It is one thing to be redeemed by the blood of Jesus Christ but it is a total different matter altogether to garner a relationship with Him. It is easy to, as some practice, say a prayer and ask Jesus into your heart. It may even be easy to for others to be fire baptized with His Holy Ghost and speak in an unknown tongue but at some point in each of these lives....the challenge comes with actually having a relationship with Jesus. We can hold on to the manifestations, the fruit of the Spirit displayed in us and even the works that animate our faith but to be in a close relationship with The Father...OH MY!! How does one do that?

I wish OH how I wish I had a formula to recite that would solve this for us but the truth is I do not. What I do know and what I can tell you is this...a relationship is first built on these things:

1. The blood of Jesus Christ and the power that it has to save us from death and sin

2. Continual trust and faith in God

3. The Holy Ghost (His power not ours)

4. Prayer (open and constant communication)

5. Obedience to His will through His Word

6. A willing heart and mind

7. MOST IMPORTANT...HIS GRACE!!!!

That acutally almost sounds like a formula but not really. These are merely precursors but only a few. Also, understand this...God pursues us! God wants and longs to have a relationship with us. He doesn't just want to save our souls but He wants to talk to us and teach us and show us His love. We can know these things all day long and we can know about the character of God as much as we would like but I believe He wants us to not just know these things but to actually experience them first hand! I believe it is His will for us.

This relationship that I speak of is so about LOVE at that. His sacrifice for us was based on love. His resurrection was based on love. And everything else that He does is based on love but without the relationship we cannot know or even experience His love. There is a secular song that comes to mind that goes a little something like this:

I needed the shelter of someone's arms
I needed someone to share my ups and downs
AND THERE YOU WERE
With sweet love and devotion
deeply touching my emotion
I want to stop and thank you
HOW SWEET IT IS TO BE LOVED BY YOU!

I am NOT trying to spiritualize a secular song but thats just what came to mind for the moment. Psalms 91:4 says "He shall cover you with His feathers and under His wings you shall take refuge." HOW SWEET IT IS TO BE LOVED BY YOU! 1 Peter 5:7 says that we can cast our cares on Him because He cares for us. HOW SWEET IT IS TO BE LOVED BY YOU! Romans 5:8 says while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. HOW SWEET IT IS TO BE LOVED BY YOU! Eyes have not seen, ear have not heard nor has it entered into the hearts of man the things that God has prepared for those that love Him. HOW SWEET IT IS TO BE LOVED BY YOU!

As I write this I am reminded to not give up and to keep pursuing God no matter how I feel or how hard things seem to get. I KNOW I love Him and I am even more certain that He loves me. All I can say is that God is awesome and a relationship with Him, no matter how hard it seems it is to obtain, is well worth it...your life depends on it and that is no exaggeration.

So there you go...

God IS Love (1 John 4:8)

1 comment:

Latter Days Ministry said...

This I think is one of the most profound and for some reason the hardest truths for some to understand about God. He loves us and desires to be united with us.

Who is God that He should even care about us, yet He does. Even down to knowing the exact number of hairs on our heads.

I think you said it beautifully, and for that I say, "Amen!"